External tools, conferences, and awards to support and recognize societal impact.
- Advancing Research Impact in Society Summit 2021: Research Impact and Public Engagement at the Intersection of the Future Workforce – Plenary sessions, speakers, and panels will focus on research impact as drivers of economic and workforce development — including precollegiate and higher education, business and industry, and government partnerships. Participants will discuss the community to career pathways in the STEM technical workforce, improving workforce diversity, government efforts to enhance workforce development, and the role of public engagement and research impact.
- Engagement Scholarship Consortium 2021: Creating Connections and Expanding Possibilities – The Engagement Scholarship Consortium (ESC) 2021 annual meeting will explore the theme of “Creating Connections and Expanding Possibilities.” Special priority will be given to proposals that examine reconnection, the creation of new connections, and the potential of shared futures in engaged scholarship, as well as proposals on the topics of engagement for equity, inclusion, and anti-racism.
- International Association for Research on Service-Learning and Community Engagement – The annual IARSLCE conference is a scholarly venue to disseminate new knowledge on service-learning and community engagement. The focus of presentations, symposia, and keynotes is on research incorporating a variety of theoretical methodologies and perspectives.
Web Tools, Videos, Webinars, & Publications
- Broader Impact Wizard – The Broader Impacts Wizard will help you develop a broader impacts plan to satisfy National Science Foundation (NSF) Broader Impact requirements and communicate your impact.
- Advancing Research Impact YouTube Videos – Play all 37 videos from the ARIS Summit 2020 or select by topic.
- Advancing Research Impact in Society Webinars – Browse or search the archives of ARSI webinars from the recent past.
- Advancing Research Impact in Society Publications – Browse or search ARIS freely downloadable publications.
- Indiana Campus Compact – Professional development opportunities
- APLU Commission on Economic & Community Engagement
ARIS Awards – ARIS awards provide recognition for research that aligns with the goals of NSF’s broader impacts criterion or with other definitions/frameworks for societal impact of research. The awards recognize researchers and practitioners undertaking exemplary work in the societal impact of research and higher education.
- Broader Impacts Champion Award – This award honors an individual or organization that has contributed significantly to establishing and advancing the NSF broader impacts criterion or contributed significantly to the realization of the vision of broader impacts of scientific research.
- Impact Goals Award – Award winners in this category will be recognized for significantly advancing engagement in and translation of research to public benefit in one or more areas including but not limited to inclusion, STEM education, science literacy, well-being, STEM workforce development, partnerships, national security, economic competitiveness, and infrastructure.
- Impact Innovations Award – This award recognizes recipients for developing new approaches to and strategies for engagement in and translation of research.
- Enduring Achievement Award – Award recipients in this category will be individuals or organizations that have demonstrated such long-term achievement or established a body of work.